Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Worship Boxes for Little Ones




When my first LO was about 4 months old a good friend sent me my first "worship box. She used a plastic shoebox size container and included a host of "props". Many of these are similar to what you might see in a beginner or cradle roll sabbath school class. We keep our box in an easily available place in the living room. Above you see my eldest when she was 4 months old watching intently while her Nana sings "Jesus loves the Little Children" with a red heart in hand.

Other Ideas for Worship Boxes Include:
  • non-breakable mirrors (Who am I?)
  • Finger puppet and small stuffed animals (Animals, Animals)
  • Bells on keychain holders, (Who has Come to Worship)
  • Small Bible (I Open my Bible Book and Read)
  • Maracas/Drums/Tamborines (We are the Missionary Band)
  • Laminated photos of Special People (Happy, Happy Home)
  • Planes/Trains/Monster Trucks (The plane goes flying to the Mission Land)
  • Wooden Dowels (Hallelu, Hallelu)
My kids love their worship time with these boxes. At about 3 or so, however, the interest in the box toys has waned even though they only get to handle them at worship time. My 4-year-old's main interest in the box now is pretending to lead worship for her younger siblings. These boxes are not something necessarily specific to Sabbath. We add some other activities specifically to our Friday night Worship to make it special, but more about that later.

1 comment:

Tara said...

When I was a kid, my mum had made "Quiet Books" for both my sister and I. They were both unique. They were made out of felt and had 5+ pages. One page had a zipper with things behind to take out and put in. Another had yarn hair to braid. One had a shoe with laces to lace and tie. Another had buttons to button. I remember the first "page" in mine had an apple tree with tiny felt applies that velcro-ed on the tree. I'm pretty sure mu mum still has them. I remember loving those in church. Looking back as a therapist now, some well amazing occupational therapist probably gave her the ideas for all those pages.