
Stacey and Caroline
C: We have a few things we try to do routinely, but it seems like my kids are growing out of them. I've been trying to come up with new ideas.
S: Yeah, it's hard to keep things interesting especially with different ages of kids in the same family.
C: It would be neat to find out what others are doing with their kids.
This is a conversation that Stacey and I had several months ago. The long and short of it is we decided that we would love to find out what you do to make Sabbath special and interesting for your kids. We are interested in collecting ideas for all ages. Please help us develop a resource so we can continue to keep Sabbath a "happy day."
3 comments:
Herb Montgomery talks about this very subject in one of his sermons. You can find it by going to Renewedheartministries.com. Then go to resources, sermons, The Jesus Dialogues, and then the sermon titled I Will Give You Rest part 2. The relevant part is toward the end of the sermon (it is all good though). He mentions doing Sabbath presents (like birthday and Christmas) once a month (that is all they can afford). Also they have a really good Sabbath dinner Friday night.
We have the same meal every Friday evening to start out Sabbath - black bean soup & cornbread. I make the soup in a crock pot so it frees up my time on Friday for other Sabbath prep. Not only do my kids love the food, but it gives them a cue every week that Sabbath has begun.
We try and not use our computer or i-phones on Sabbath. I don't think there is anything wrong with using them, but I want to free up Sabbath time for focusing on God, my husband, our kids. What I loved best about Sabbath as a kid is that the TV was off so my parents had more time for us. Of course our TV is off too, but I wanted to get rid of other attention suckers.
I'll come back to this blog some other time and add more ideas. I'm looking forward to learning from other moms out there.
Any ideas of how to have vegetables ready to go for Sabbath lunch without prep? Are there any better ideas than just fresh veges such as carrot sticks and salad? I have tried using my oven, but haven't been to happy so far.
Post a Comment